Venezia Part 2

I woke up on the second day of our Venetian adventure ready to take on the day. After I experienced how beautiful the scenery of Venice is on my first day there, I made a plan to take more photos and capture more of the culture and art than I had the day prior. I put on a dress and curled my hair and Olivia and I walked down the stairs of the hotel to meet our classmates for breakfast. That’s when we discovered the devastating news. When we peered out the first window we had access to, the rainstorm was undeniable. We had pastries and cappuccinos for breakfast hoping that as the time passed so would the storm.

IMG_2914 IMG_2917

When we loaded ourselves on the bus I said to Olivia, “Maybe once we get to Venice, the storm will be over,” since our hotel was about 40 minutes away. I could not have been more wrong. We drove straight into the heart of the storm and we hadn’t even seen the worst of it. Our fearless leader and program coordinator, Alba, bravely left the bus and purchased about 40 ponchos for the students. I quickly and very sneakily changed clothes on the bus with Olivia’s help. The rainstorm plus the dress I was wearing did not sound like a good time. I slipped some leggings on and threw on a sweater and it was probably the best decision I have ever made.

I had come prepared with an umbrella so I did not take one of the ponchos, but once I got off the bus and realized it was practically raining sideways I pretty much threw money at a vendor and purchased a poncho for myself and one for Olivia. We looked like a smurf and an alien in that rainstorm and we were killing it. Best-dressed award for terrifying rain related situation goes to us!

IMG_2913 IMG_2916 IMG_2918 IMG_2920

To make the rainstorm even more horrifying, we got on a ferry and rode it for about an hour as we made our way to the second part of the Biennale Art Exhibition. I imagine that’s what drowning feels like. There was water below us, water coming at us from the sides, and water falling from the sky leaving us with no escape. Miraculously I didn’t even have a bad hair day after that. The whole experience, though terrifying, was rather exciting. And who can deny that these ponchos were fabulous?


Once we arrived at the Arsenale, the second part of the art exhibition, Olivia and I made a pact that we were going to be moving quickly. If there were videos in any exhibits, we did not have enough time to see them and if we did not understand what the artists were trying to say, then we were just going to accept it and move on! And it’s a good thing we did because the exhibition was huge!

IMG_3038 IMG_3034 IMG_2924 IMG_2926 IMG_2929 IMG_2930 IMG_2931 IMG_2933 IMG_2935 IMG_2936 IMG_2937 IMG_2939 IMG_2938 IMG_2943 IMG_2945 IMG_2947 IMG_2949 IMG_2951 IMG_2953 IMG_2954 IMG_2956 IMG_2958 IMG_2959 IMG_2960 IMG_2965 IMG_2964 IMG_2967 IMG_2968 IMG_2969 IMG_2984 IMG_2985 IMG_2986

It was so large that we actually got lost and could not find the exits or the direction in which we came. Fortunately we took advantage of the scenery and took some pictures while we tried to find our way back. We definitely saw more art the second day than we did the first because by that time we were practically experts in art viewing. We saw almost everything and gave ourselves enough time to eat and go shopping. Thankfully the rain had stopped while we were at the exhibition and made for a beautiful day.

IMG_2979 IMG_2981 IMG_2980 IMG_2977 IMG_2963 IMG_2962 IMG_2982 IMG_2983 IMG_2988

While we were wandering around in Venice, we had three missions. Olivia wanted to find masks for her friends, I wanted to find more Murano glass for mine, and we both wanted food (which was probably the most important of our missions). All three were a success and in addition we each made a few more purchases than we had planned on. We both picked up a panini to-go and ate while we sat on the ferry back to the bus. Once on the bus we settled in for the six hour ride back to Orvieto. Ciao Venezia! I will miss you!

IMG_2989 IMG_2992 IMG_2990 IMG_2996 IMG_2997 IMG_3003